Family Counseling Center's
Frequently Asked Questions
Counseling is vastly different for most anyone, but there are few things to realize about all Counseling:
1. Counseling is not about finding fault within a person, but rather it is about developing goals upon which the person seeks to achieve and finding ways by which to achieve them.
2. While counseling may bring to light items which bring out an emotional response, therapists are skilled in attempting to create a safe, therapeutic space where growth and positive change can take place. Counseling may not always be comfortable.
3. A therapist will not force a client to say or do anything that is intentionally unsafe or attempt to change a person's beliefs. Change in a client is self-initiated and the therapist can only guide a person through that process.
4. Our therapists are not able to prescribe medications. Medication may be an avenue for positive change in a person's life but that would be managed by a licensed psychiatrist or medical doctor.
5. Counseling is confidential. Under the ethical standards of therapy, what is said between a therapist and a client is kept confidential. Records and the fact that a client is in counseling in our agency is a confidential matter and will not be addressed to anyone including family, unless they are part of the counseling sessions or parental guardian of those under the age of consent. Records may be released under the signed consent of the client. There are four exceptions to this confidentiality:
-A therapist seeking supervision or consultation from another therapist.
-A court order requiring the submission of the record and/or testimony by the therapist.
-A situation where the therapist feels that maintaining confidentiality would be likely to result in serious harm to the client or to someone else.
-Suspicion of the abuse of children or adults whose age or infirmity makes them unable to protect themselves.
What kind of service does Family Counseling Center Provide?
Family Counseling Center is an umbrella for a multitude of services ranging from individual, family and couples therapy, group therapy, and in-home counseling for the elderly.
Can anyone take advantage of these services?
Family Counseling Center believes that everyone in the community should have the opportunity to have quality mental health services. Mental health issues may result in, or be the result of, many issues from depression and economic poverty, to abuse and physical health problems.
Does Family Counseling Center accept insurance?
Yes, the Family Counseling Center accepts a range of different insurance plans including: Medicare,Tricare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, ComPsych, and more. Please call our office for a full list of insurance companies.
Can individuals and families still receive counseling if their insurance does not cover or they are without insurance?
Clients without insurance coverage can be placed on our sliding scale fee which is based on income and number of people in the household. Normal "out of pocket" fee for counseling is $110.00 (for a 60 minute session) and fee reductions are based on need.